Being pregnant is never an easy time for any woman. I can’t speak from experience, but I’ve seen enough friends, cousins and officemates struggle with the extra weight, back pain and mood swings that the last thing they’d want to think about is fashion. Especially fashion with a baby bump.
I met Monica before her bump. We were a couple of kids working in Seventeen Magazine, sharing a hidden corner in our office and would have daily banters on where to eat lunch. We’ve travelled from the mountains to the beach, used up boxes and boxes of Polariods and had more than our fair share of Boracay sunsets. Work honed our skills as it created a bond that has, so far, stood the test of time and life changes. Monica is now a photographer, who also does maternity shoots and runs a sandwich delivery business.
Now that she’s pregnant, I wanted to ask how things were going fashion-wise. I was curious if it was a challenge to dress around a tummy, whether it was limiting or actually interesting. Mon refused to resort to maternity clothes and asked me to help her come up with looks from her existing wardrobe. Turns out she realised there was more to just wearing prints with plain stuff and that printed leggings can work with trainers. She even admits that she’s having fun with fashion and gamely shows off her belly. So refreshing to hear! Sharing with you the finished product of an afternoon of editing, eating and kind of working. It was just like the old days, only better.
1. Maternity jeans can easily be made cool with the right styling and accessories.
2. Maxi dresses are a pregnancy staple. Make it event or wedding-appropriate by adding a tailored sleeveless vest and wedge heels (for comfort) and you’re all set!
3. Soft cotton dresses are another staple. It’s easy, comfy and can be styled in a myriad of ways. Simply add a statement necklace and embellished heels to dress it up, sneakers or flats to dress down.
4. Printed leggings are a fun alternative to the usual black. Pair it with a plain top to balance out the loud colors and hip sneakers for weekend errands and outings. Big smile required!
5. All black is always slimming, pregnant or not, and is so chic when worn minimally showing off the bump. Choose a top and skirt in a breathable and stretch fabric for comfort.